Each quarter, the demand grows for spaces in Department of Economics courses amidst a limited supply of spaces. As a result, the Faculty of the Department of Economics has adopted a policy regarding requests for add codes (or entry codes) for the courses.
Please see the policies below for details.
Add Code Request Policy (2020 Spring Quarter):
- Students must email the instructor directly to request an add code. Instructor contact information can be found here.
- It is recommended that you email a copy of your unofficial transcript (or DARS) so the instructor can verify that you meet the course prerequisites, or can check other criteria (such as your declared major).
- Instructors may consider the following when making add code decisions: Grades in prerequisite courses, UW GPA or Econ GPA, class standing (junior, senior, etc), your "Graduation Date" on DARS (have you signed up to graduate), etc.
- Students not currently declared in an Economics major will likely not be considered for add codes in 400-level Econ courses, unless the course is an approved requirement for another major (e.g. ACMS: Mathematical Economics Option, Statistics, Political Science: Political Economy Option, etc.).
- Add codes will not be available for “large lectures” (50+ spaces) such as ECON 200A, ECON 201 A, etc. No overload requests will be fulfilled for these classes if they are filled/closed by the start of the quarter.
- Any misconduct or misuse of add codes will result in immediate dismissal from the course, and possible disciplinary action with the Department of Economics Undergraduate Committee.
- Students must be admitted to the Economics major during the regular admission process in order to graduate with an Economics degree. Completing course requirements for the major (BA or BS) without being formally admitted will not result in graduating from the UW with an Economics degree.
- It is at the discretion of the course instructors (not advisers) regarding add code requests and distribution.