The UW Women in Economics group was established in 2013 to address topics of interest to women studying or working in economics-related fields. The group seeks to raise awareness of common issues and provide networking and professional development opportunities. Additionally we aim to:
- Expand opportunities for women in economics in business and academia;
- Provide networking opportunities for women in economics;
- Provide a venue to meet and discuss issues of common interest;
- Explore research topics of interest to women economists to help understand strengths and challenges;
- Promote employment opportunities and advancement of women in the economics profession.
The UW Women in Economics group is happy to announce that alumna Bo Lee has been named in the Top 40 Under 40 by the Puget Sound Business Journal. Lee received her BA from the Department of Economics in 1999 and currently serves as a Senior Wealth Manager at BNY Mellon. She has been an active member of the Washington Women’s Foundation since 2010. You can find her bio here.
UW Women in Economics Board Members
Alumni board members:
Gerilyn Denny, BA '83
Krisztina Nagy, PhD '11
Reem Sabha, BS '17
Christina Tapia, PhD '09, Chair
Eileen Wang, BS '01
Olga Yang, BA '82
Student board members:
Kiana Alexis Rahni
- Join UW Women in Economics on Facebook! Students may also join the RSO Facebook page.
- Subscribe to the group mailing list WomeninEcon@uw.edu!
- Join UW Women in Economics on LinkedIn!
- Learn more about diversity in the Department of Economics!
- Follow our Instagram page!
News & Resources
- Undergraduate Women in Economics Project (Claudia Goldin, Harvard)
- CSWEP: Committee on the Status of Women in the Economics Profession
- Faking It: Women, Academia, and the Impostor Syndrome – Chronicle Vitae
- Spotlight on Women in Leadership - Harvard Business Review
- Speaking White Female: Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant on Why Women Stay Quiet at Work – New York Times
- Don’t Underestimate the Power of Women Supporting Each Other at Work - Harvard Business Review
"FRB Credit Risk Model Reviews: Two Quants’ Perspective", Yelena Takhtamanova, Senior Risk Specialist Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and Alexandra Onosova, Senior Risk Specialist, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, June 2016
"South Lake Union: The Making of an Urban Innovation District", Maria Mackey Gunn and Rebecca Bloom, Vulcan, Inc. May 2016
“Women, Business and the Law: Removing Restrictions to Enhance Gender Equality”, Yasmin Bin-Humam, Consultant at World Bank, February 2014