Students must apply no later than winter quarter of their junior (or second to last) year. Applications are available in winter quarter only.
Achievement oriented students who have obtained very high grades in Introductory Economics, ECON 200 and ECON 201, should consider applying to the Departmental Honors Program. Students interested in this program should first discuss it with an economics adviser to plan their course of study. Fulfilling the Honors major requirements will allow them to graduate “With Honors in Economics,” as well as the opportunity to complete an undergraduate thesis. This distinction is noted on both the diploma and the student’s transcript from the University of Washington. Interested students should contact the Economics Advising Office regarding honors classes. Please note that admission to the Econ Honors Program is competitive.
Applications for the honors program are available in winter quarter.
Applications are now available. Download here.
University Honors and the College of Arts and Sciences Honors
The Economics Department participates in the University Honors and the College of Arts & Sciences Honors Program. The specific economics requirements for this program are listed above. Students who participate in this program must also complete the College Honors requirements and will then earn a Bachelor’s Degree “With College Honors in Economics.”
National Honor Society in Economics
Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE), the national Economics Honor Society, recognizes distinguished scholastic achievement in economics. Eligible students will have earned a minimum of 20 upper-division (300- and 400-level) economics credits with a minimum GPA of 3.6, and have achieved a minimum overall UW GPA of 3.5. STAT 311 and other statistics courses are omitted from the **major GPA** calculation. Majors are automatically screened for eligibility and then invited to join each Spring.
Honors Admission Requirements
- Acceptance into the economics major
- Minimum cumulative UW grade point average (GPA) of 3.3
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 in UW Economics courses
- Minimum grade of 3.5 in ECON 300 (students should be enrolled in or have already taken ECON 301 when they apply to the program)
- Submission of completed application form (available in late January)
Program Requirements for Honors in Economics
1. Complete the following: ECON 300 and ECON 301 with a minimum grade of 3.5 in each course
2. ECON 396 Honors Research Seminar, 2 credits (taken spring of sophomore or junior year)
3. ECON 496 Honors Seminar, 5 credits (taken in autumn of final year)
4. ECON 497 Honors Thesis, 5 credits (taken in winter of final year)
5. At the time of graduation, honors students must have a minimum 3.3 UW GPA and a minimum 3.5 ECON GPA (UW and transfer)
- ECON 496 and 497 are in addition to the 400-level Econ courses required to complete the degree. Both courses do not count toward the general education writing requirement.
- Strongly recommended: One econometrics course to be taken prior to ECON 496
- ECON 396 must be taken prior to ECON 496 and 497. ECON 496 and 497 must be taken in consecutive autumn and winter quarters. Theses are due in May after taking ECON 497.
- Students who complete these requirements will graduate with “Honors in Economics.” This is noted on your diploma and UW transcript.