Professor Turnovsky holds the Ford and Louisa Van Voorhis Professorship of Economics. He received his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1968. He also received honorary doctorate degrees from Aix-Marseille University in 2005 and from Victoria University of Wellington in 2009. He is a Fellow of the Econometric Society, is a former Editor of the Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, and remains on that Journal’s Advisory Board. Currently he serves as a Co-Editor of Macroeconomic Dynamics, where he also serves as Special Issues Editor, and as Associate Editor of the Journal of Public Economic Theory, and the Journal of Human Capital, as well as being on the Editorial and Advisory Boards of a number of other journals. He is a past President of the Society of Economic Dynamics and Control and of the Society for Computational Economics.
- S. Lim, M. Morshed, and S.J. Turnovsky (2023). Endogenous labor migration and remittances: Macroeconomic and welfare consequences, Journal of Development Economics 163, 103110. Download PDF (1.27 MB)
- M. Atolia, C. Papageorgiou, and S.J. Turnovsky, (2021). Re-opening After-the Lockdown: Long-run aggregate and distributional consequences of COVID-19, Journal of Mathematical Economics 93, 102481. Download PDF (1.72 MB)
- E. Dioikitopoulos, S.J. Turnovsky, and R. Wendner (2020) Dynamic Status Effects, Savings, and Income Inequality, International Economic Review 61, 351-382. Download PDF (925.66 KB)
- I. Erauskin and S.J. Turnovsky (2019) International financial integration, volatility, and inequality in a stochastically growing open economy, Journal of International Economics 119, 55-74. Download PDF (611.16 KB)
- E. Dioikitopoulos, S.J. Turnovsky, and R. Wendner (2019) Public policy, dynamic status preferences, and wealth inequality, Journal of Public Economic Theory 21, 923-944. Download PDF (471.38 KB)
- S.J. Turnovsky (2019) Demographic Structures, Savings, and International Capital Flows, Journal of International Money and Finance 98, Article 102062. Download PDF (1.41 MB)
- S. Chatterjee and S.J. Turnovsky (2018) Remittances and the Informal Economy, Journal of Development Economics 133, 66-83 Download PDF (1.78 MB)
- Stefan F. Schubert and Stephen J. Turnovsky, Growth and Unemployment: Short-run and Long-run Tradeoffs, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 91, 172-189, 2018. Download PDF (985.21 KB)
- M. Koyuncu and S.J. Turnovsky (2016) The Dynamics of Growth and Income Inequality under Progressive Taxation, Journal of Public Economic Theory 18, 560-588. Download PDF (535.31 KB)
- O.M. Leukhina and S.J. Turnovsky, (2016) "Population Size Effects in the Structural Development of England," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 8, 195-229 . Download PDF (795.26 KB)
- S.J. Turnovsky, " Economic Growth and Inequality: The Role of Public Investment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 61, 2015, 204-221 (revised version of plenary talk presented to 2015 Conference of the Society for Computational Economics, held in Taipei, June 2015). Download PDF (407.89 KB)
- C. García-Peñalosa and S.J Turnovsky, “Income Inequality, Mobility, and the Accumulation of Capital,” MacroeconomicDynamics 19, 2015, 1332-1357. Download PDF (168.84 KB)
- Matteo Cacciatore, Fabio Ghironi, and Stephen Turnovsky. "Inflation Targeting and Economic Reforms in New Zealand." International Journal of Central Banking 11 (2015), 145-198.
- Yu-chin Chen , Stephen J. Turnovsky, and Eric Zivot, "Forecasting Inflation using Commodity Price Aggregates." Journal of Econometrics 183 (2014), 117-134.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, and J. O. Mierau. "Demography, Growth, and Inequality." Economic Theory 55 (2014), 29-68. Download PDF (752.08 KB)
- On the Role of Small Models in Macrodynamics -update of JEDC paper 2011 Download PDF (83.88 KB)
- Neil Bruce and Stephen J. Turnovsky. "Social Security, Growth, and Welfare in Overlapping Generations Economies with or without Annuities." Journal of Public Economics 101 (2013), 12-24. Download PDF (525.7 KB)
- Chatterjee, Santanu, and Stephen J. Turnovsky. "Infrastructure and Inequality." European Economic Review 56.8 (2012): 1730-745. Print. Download PDF (561.89 KB)
- Chen, Yu-Chin, and Stephen J. Turnovsky. "Growth and Inequality in a Small Open Economy." Journal of Macroeconomics 32.2 (2010): 497-514. Web.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. Capital Accumulation and Economic Growth in a Small Open Economy. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge UP, 2009. Print.
- Dewatripont, M., Lars Peter. Hansen, and Stephen J. Turnovsky. Advances in Economics and Econometrics: Theory and Applications: Eighth World Congress. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge UP, 2003. Print.
- Eicher, Theo S., and Stephen J. Turnovsky. Inequality and Growth: Theory and Policy Implications. Cambridge, MA: MIT, 2003. Print.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. "Fiscal Policy, Elastic Labor Supply, and Endogenous Growth." Journal of Monetary Economics 45.1 (2000): 185-210. Print.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. Methods of Macroeconomic Dynamics. Cambridge, MA: MIT, 2000. Print.
- Fisher, Walter H., and Stephen J. Turnovsky. "Public Investment, Congestion, and Private Capital Accumulation." The Economic Journal 108.447 (1998): 399-413. Print.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. International Macroeconomic Dynamics. Cambridge, MA: MIT, 1997. Print.
- M. Atolia, C. Papageorgiou, and S.J. Turnovsky, (2021) Taxation and Public Health Investment: Policy Choices and Tradeoffs, Macroeconomic Dynamics 25, 426-461. Download PDF (771.35 KB)
- S.J. Turnovsky and Y. Gokan, Alternative monetary policies and wealth and income inequality: The monetary instrument problem revisited, Macroeconomic Dynamics (forthcoming) Download PDF (700.58 KB)
- Y. Gokan and S.J. Turnovsky, Government spoending, debt management, and wealth and income inequality in a growing monetary economy, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking (forthcoming). Download PDF (415.58 KB)
- F. Carneiro, S.J. Turnovsky, and O. Tourinho (2022) Economic growth and inequality tradeoffs under progressive taxation, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 143, Article 104513 Download PDF (1.53 MB)
- S.J. Turnovsky and J. Rojas-Vallejos,(2018)The Distributional Consequences of Trade Liberalization: Consumption Tariff versus Investment Tariff Reduction, Journal of Development Economics, 134, 292-415. Download PDF (2.97 MB)
- Professor Turnovsky Presents at Prominent Conference - February 11, 2019
- Stephen Turnovsky Honored as Jubilee Fellow of the Australian Academy of Social Sciences - January 5, 2017
- Professor Stephen Turnovsky Gives Invited Talk at Econometric Society Africa Meetings - June 20, 2016
- Professor Neil Bruce Retiring After 25 Years with UW - November 18, 2015